I recently started working again, after just over 3 months of unemployment. Over the last 3 months I have run the gamut of emotions over the situation from elation to despondency to dreaming to excitement to fear to insecurity to security to worry to hope to peace and so on. I have also had a lot of time to think about what kind of work I would like to do and how I would like to do it. Considering that we spend the majority of our waking hours at work, we’d best believe that what we’re doing is important and derive some satisfaction from it.
In the interim, I decided to come up with some benefits of being unemployed, to remind myself to be content and make the most of my situation.
This is my list so far..
- you can enjoy early mornings without having to rush off, clutching bag, keys, half eaten breakfast and hairbrush..
- early morning bike rides where it doesn’t matter if you get lost and have to dodge piles of fruit and vegetables while keeping an eye out for big trucks
- you discover new interests such as short animated films e.g. "Invention of Love" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTdzCAGH3lU
- there is more time to explore in a meandering, unhurried way
- there is more time to dream, ponder, take photos and write
- there is plenty of time to connect with people and arrange spontaneous visits
- being the only unemployed person you know means spending great deals of time alone which leads to many fascinating conversations with strangers and fortunately, a few new friends along the way!